Sunday, November 16, 2008

Finally Here!

just a note before I start. this keyboard is completely confusing and french spell check thinks i'm stupid, so there will be many many typos... deal!

After a full out FUBAR w the airline and what seemed like days & days, I made it to Paris.

I had planned on taking the bus and the metro to my hotel, but after my travel time got extended I decided to cab it. The travel over wasn't all bad. A nice man on the flight to DC got me in to the Red Carpet Lounge since we were both screwed by UselessAir (his term for United.. which was on the money). After much stress, I was finally confirmed on a flight... TO GERMANY. Yes my route to Paris was Philly --> DC --> Frankford --> Paris. See why a taxi sounded better than a bus?

It was a smooth trip (as in no issues - plenty of turbulance) to Germany & relatively painless going thru "passport control" & then finding my gate. At the gate I noticed a older woman waiting for the same flight - Jeanne-Claude... the wife of Christo, they do the huge instilation pieces. There was no way I could think of to approach her without looking like a dork so I left her undistubed. I passed the time on the flight with the 2 Aussie hotties seated next to me.

In no time we touched down in Paris. That's a pretty wacky airport. I was tired and probably smelt a lil bad at this point. I didn't see any coustomes to go thru (maybe that is what "passport control" in Germany took care of. I didn't have the strength or abilty to haggle so I hopped in the first taxi offered. He was a plesant guy who liked to play this game - he'd have me shut my eyes and then open then when we'd be headed towards a major site. It was fun... though i was so exhusted "got your nose would have probably entertained me too!

So far I have managed to find my way around pretty good. Found the major train station (on the other side ofthe city) and alredy bought my TGV ticket to Nice.



You know what this is... just a few blocks from the hotel


Street performers at the Rue de Clar Market, at the corner from the hotel


Fresh fruit at the market... next time i am rent an apt so i can buy all these wonderful foods!

Does france have critcal mass? on my way over the bridge to go to the train station I caught this... hundreds of people roller blading across the bridge.

At the train station. I love the mix of old and new. the clock tower of the station reflected in a new modern building.

So I'm getting hungry and tired of looking at a computer screen... on to the next adventure... THE METRO!

2 comments:

LadyAdmin said...

See? You're already a native! I can't believe you actually know what Christo and his wife LOOK like...

Anonymous said...

Yay for getting there. Make sure you go by the Shakespeare and Co. Bookstore :D

Oh, and I agree with ladyadmin, except I think you're a nerd for knowing what they look like :P